What's Up With Elisabeth & George

Welcome to our family blog!

For how we're doing right now, please see "How we're doing right now" on the right side of the page. For the details of our life, daily stories, and lots of photos, see our posts below. And please comment! It helps us feel loved!

P.S. You DON'T need to have a blogger account to comment!!!!

Monday, November 17, 2008

Penang -- Week 33 -- The Lunch Group

THURSDAY, October 30th
A bunch of us from babywearing meet at our friend Alison's house for lunch.  There's been talk of a regular play group starting.  I thought it would be fun and casual like the ones we're already doing, but Jess sent us all a long email last week detaling all of the 'guidelines' for what she calls a "structured playgroup."  She wants it to be a sort of home-run, preschool co-op.  Where a couple of moms each week would host and lead a learning activity or craft.  We'd have lunch, and scheduled free play as well, but we'd eventually leave all the kids with two moms and the rest of the moms would go out for their own free play.  That last part has been vetoed by several group members already.  But the rest sounds a little hyper structured to me too.  I told Jess I'm willing to try it, but I don't know that I'm looking for Regin to learn anything when we go to a playgroup.

A few of the ladies are buzzing about what I must have brought to eat for lunch.  It's my veggie-squash-tuna bake which has recently become a staple at our house.  People are oohing and ahhing about how delicious it must be up until the moment it hits their plates.  But as soon as they put it in their mouths, silence.  Hmmph.  It's not my best veggie-squash-tuna bake, but I think it's still pretty darned good.  But no one makes a peep about it.  I know locals never talk much while dining, but there are also English and Australian women at the table and there is some chatter.

Maybe I've lost my touch?

Jess, one of the Malaysians at the table, then tells me that my frittata last Thursday inspired her to make her own.  Huh!  I guess she liked it.  And now that I'm paying attention, everyone is quietly reaching for seconds and thirds of my dish this week.  Strange.  No compliments on the dish during or after lunch.  But everyone thanks each other for bringing each dish.

Jess and Debz have been trying to make Elisabeth-friendly food when we get together.  So sweet, but it's an almost impossible task.  Amazingly, Jess has something I can eat this time.  It's mushrooms, garlic, bell pepper (which they call capsicum) and lemon grass.  Oh my goodness.  Very tasty.  I have to learn how to make it!  I make sure to mention my pleasure while eating it.

No comments: