What's Up With Elisabeth & George
Welcome to our family blog!
For how we're doing right now, please see "How we're doing right now" on the right side of the page. For the details of our life, daily stories, and lots of photos, see our posts below. And please comment! It helps us feel loved!
P.S. You DON'T need to have a blogger account to comment!!!!
For how we're doing right now, please see "How we're doing right now" on the right side of the page. For the details of our life, daily stories, and lots of photos, see our posts below. And please comment! It helps us feel loved!
P.S. You DON'T need to have a blogger account to comment!!!!
Thursday, August 12, 2010
Andrias's Birth, Part 2 -- The preparations
I prepared as much as I could this time around.
I prepared for the pain...
After hearing of the success my friend Teddi had using Hypnobabies with her daughter's birth, about which she said she "wouldn't exactly describe it as pain", I decided I would use it too. I ordered the home study course and jumped in. Sadly, the course is a smidge on the highly-ambitious side for mothers of small children. There is a daily, 40-minute practice of self hypnosis using provided audio tracks, there are 5 daily, 5-minute solo practices, and there are 20-minute sessions every other day with a script your spouse reads to you. On top of all those, there is a 40-minute track of affirmations to listen to daily (which, by the way, is an AMAZING tool for putting toddlers to sleep), plus a large packet of materials to read, plus time you're supposed to spend doing visualizations and such.
Sorry. That's just not feasible for the mother of a toddler. We even hired a friend to come over and hang with our son a few times so I could do more of the practices. On a couple of good days, I doubled up on practice, but I never did more than a handful of the 5-minute sessions. Too bad. I think those were maybe the most important. For the 40-minute sessions I had to be alone, uninterrupted, and laying down, or it didn't work for me. And even then it often didn't work. So I shrugged and decided to just listen to the tracks at night while I slept and not beat myself up over it.
Turns out, the Hypnobabies was a huge help with my pregnancy. Within a few days of regularly listening to the tracks in my sleep, my severe anxiety that had plagued me daily (through both my pregnancies) disappeared! And it was truly severe. I had been begging and pleading with doctors for weeks for help. My DO suggested herbs and homeopathic remedies, an OB I saw twice wanted to put me on some heavy anxiety drugs, and I was so desperate, I was actually considering it, but thanks to the Hypnobabies, I ended up not having to! The anxiety I had been bawling about simply melted away. AMAZING!
I prepared for the baby...
I shopped my butt off a little this time. I bought a bunch of organic clothes even though we've got baby clothes coming out of our ears from Regin's old stash which is still in perfect condition. We got a new organic mattress, new wool carpet, and my dad built us a bed big enough to accommodate four people. I knit for the baby, I reread (skimmed) some baby care books, I set up our changing station.
I prepared our older son...
I read him story books about home birth and having a baby in the house. I tried to get him interested and excited about the idea, but didn't push it. I talked to him about the baby in Mamma's tummy, and he talked to me about the baby in his.
I prepared our house...
George, my mom, and I cleaned, cleaned, cleaned. My mom has been laughing at me ever since for making George get on his hands and knees and scrub the floor molding, while I was up to my elbows in the fireplace trying to get rid of 9 years of dust. And we (we hope) rid our house of mold (and I stopped getting sick all the time, YAY!), and we installed a house humidifier (ahhhhh...).
I planned for the midwives...
I made arrangements for my sister to come for the birth to: make sure things went smoothly in the house, see that I and the birth attendants would be fed (including weird foods for my food issues), and ensure Regin was properly entertained and occupied or removed, if need be.
I made my desires clear...
I wanted to be alone in our room with George as much as possible and I wanted no excess people in the house, which sadly included our mothers for me this time around. During all the preparations, I had a third-trimester midwife reshuffle which was emotionally difficult to go through and I even considered unassisted birth because of how strong my instinct was to birth alone. Further, I told myself repeatedly that this time I wanted labor to start in the morning after a full night of restful sleep. (Can we please make sure that happens?)
I'm sure all the prep was excessive and unnecessary, but I think in some way I was trying to feel like I was doing what I could to gain a feeling of control and readiness after the loss of control and the unpreparedness I'd felt last time.
To be continued.
Part 3 -- The birth, coming tomorrow...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment