"Are you American?"
"Yes."
"I've just taken a sudden disliking to you!"
I sat through one class where the teacher spent the entire period telling a joke about the massive amounts of excrement on Noah's Arc. That was the set up, the punchline was that the pile that was discarded into the sea was eventually discovered by Columbus and named America. He said that looking directly at me. I was about 11 or 12.
I developed the shame that is discussed in the article. And it's a shame I still struggle to free myself from. But should I? Although I'm not personally responsible for my country's past actions, I'm not sure that all American's shouldn't be feeling a little shame. It's not an accident we're so unpopular. And it is important that we change that. Maybe a little of that shame, instead of the blind pride many of us walk so boldly with, can help us make the necessary change.
The fact that Obama is helping our PR to this extent is so great. I only hope that he doesn't disappoint to a degree that would bring us back to square one or even somewhere worse. We also need to act as ambassadors to support the PR shift. And I don't only mean people who are overseas. I mean you guys at home too. I cringe when I read what Americans say online. And what foreigners see of our YouTube videos, TV shows, and other media does not paint a very friendly picture of us.
Shanti was asking me about it all Friday. As usual, she really didn't understand or remember what I'd said to her before. So she came in saying, "He already won?"
"Yes."
"Everybody say is a good thing."
"Yes!" My excitement was renewing. "Lots of people think so, but not everyone."
"It's very scary. They really don't like black people there."
Sigh. How can I argue with her? You read those couple of quotes in my newspaper summary yesterday, right? In case you didn't, I think it's worth putting one again here:
"I don't think we'll have to worry about another African-American president in four year's time, because after what's going to happen in the next four years under Obama, we'll never elect an African-American again."
Shanti's right. It is scary. We think this is such a victory and such a positive sign for our culture. But there are still plenty of Americans who have just as much ignorance, prejudice and ugliness in their hearts as ever. Even if Obama's foreign policy is perfect, and he mends bridges all over the place. Our everyday citizens may undo his work. Who wants to deal with a prejudiced and superior culture?
________________________________________________________
OK. I think I've had my say. No more Obama on here, at least not for a while.
We're hoping to go to Thailand today! If not today, then tomorrow. I've pre-posted a bunch of posts, so no worries, they will continue in our absence. TTFN!
No comments:
Post a Comment