What's Up With Elisabeth & George

Welcome to our family blog!

For how we're doing right now, please see "How we're doing right now" on the right side of the page. For the details of our life, daily stories, and lots of photos, see our posts below. And please comment! It helps us feel loved!

P.S. You DON'T need to have a blogger account to comment!!!!

Monday, October 06, 2008

Happy 18 months: NO BOOB FOR YOU!

I'm such a rotten mother.  Regin's 18-month birthday came and went (yesterday) and I didn't even pay attention.  There are no photos of him from the day, so no way to record how he actually looked on the day he became 18 months old.  Course, it's still the day of in Denver, so I will go ahead and pretend it's today!

To celebrate, I'm cutting him off from breast milk!  100%!  I've been sort of wishy washy about it, and cut back on the number of feedings, or feedings at certain times.  I believe breast milk would be beneficial for him still, and I had intended to go to two years.  But it's aggravating my hypoglycemia, and he needs a sane, nice, calm, happy Mamma more than he needs the nutrients in my milk. 

I'm soooo very hopeful that this will make a huge improvement in my condition. Please cross your fingers for me/us!

P.S. the photos are of him begging and whining for milk ("Meel! Meel!") earlier today.  I stood my ground.  No milk for you!

2 comments:

team woelfel said...

so i don't have to start weening him right away?! not that i'm even really trying. he's 12 months now so i am trying to cut back, he really just likes a snack every once in a while.

Elisabeth said...

No, you absolutely don't have to. Most breast-feeding advocates believe that you should nurse your baby for the first two years of his life for him to receive the full benefit. And the benefits are enormous. Many people go even longer than that. I had planned to go to two years, and if not for my hypoglycemia I still would. And even so this is a last resort.

A lot of people recommend letting the baby decide when he gets weaned. Regin has never stopped wanting as much milk as he could get as often as he could, so I had to cut him back for my health. But if I could continue to give him some I would. Even a little a day is good. There are so many antibodies and amazingly good things in that milk. Also don't worry if you are away from him a lot during the day and can only breastfeed him at x time. I was able to keep doing it even when I was only giving it to him once a day or if I skipped a day.