What's Up With Elisabeth & George

Welcome to our family blog!

For how we're doing right now, please see "How we're doing right now" on the right side of the page. For the details of our life, daily stories, and lots of photos, see our posts below. And please comment! It helps us feel loved!

P.S. You DON'T need to have a blogger account to comment!!!!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Penang -- Week 21 -- Friends Come and Go

MONDAY - THURSDAY, August 4th - August 8th
This week is a blur for me.  By the end of the week I have no memory that anything interesting happened.  All I know is that I had a couple of days where I felt sick again (terrible sore throat & fatigue keeps coming and disappearing with no real cold setting in) and I had to cancel on an afternoon with Carmen and play group with the girls.  It's Rachel's last play group.  She, hubby, and little Abe are off to Sabbah to work their linguistic magic with the locals there.  I will miss her.  I really loved chatting with her and I find their work so fascinating.
Such is life when you are living overseas and associating at all with other expats.  No one stays in your life for too long.  After my childhood in Europe, it took me a really long time to learn that friends can be around for more than a couple of years and that relationships should be maintained to last longer than that.  Now, it's a little bit of a shock to the system that short relationships are once again the way.  Eric and his family left already too.  Did I mention that?  I didn't see them that often, but they are very nice people, and George enjoyed having Eric as his car pool buddy.  And they got up to some antics before Eric left.  I'm not sure if George will tell you about them as he's still working on his accident/police station story from weeks and weeks ago now.
I made a new friend this week.  Sort of.  Well, I finally made contact with an online friend.  The artist girl.  We had a lovely evening at this swanky little food court (contradiction in terms right?) high up in Gurney Plaza, overlooking the mud bank and sea.  We chatted about all sorts of things.  She went to college in Canada, and she tells me she misses Taco Bell from her trips to the States.  It's funny.  When we were in England, all the American teens used to brag about how often we ate at Taco Bell on our trips to the States.  I told her that she had to try Chipotle.  So much better.  We're both painters but we end up talking most about photography.  It's the art both of us seem to be working on most right now.  She has a Nikon D60, I have a Nikon D80, and we're both looking to get new lenses.  She wants to get into wedding photography, but the similarities end there. I'll let that stay Teddi and Keith's thing I think.  I just don't like weddings that much (unless it's someone I know, and then I'd rather not be working).  That's part of why the wedding videography business never materialized.  That and editing all that wedding footage was more than I can bare.
Photos:
The lens I'm after is a 50mm prime (non-zoom) lens.  So I'm preparing myself by playing with that fixed focal length on my zoom lens.  So far I'm digging it for closer up stuff.

No comments: