What's Up With Elisabeth & George

Welcome to our family blog!

For how we're doing right now, please see "How we're doing right now" on the right side of the page. For the details of our life, daily stories, and lots of photos, see our posts below. And please comment! It helps us feel loved!

P.S. You DON'T need to have a blogger account to comment!!!!

Sunday, April 08, 2007

April 6, 2007: A Tragic Ending, A Joyful Beginning

A Tragic Ending:
In memory of Oscar David
July 13, 1935 - April 6, 2007

My father, Oscar David, had been battling cancer for about 9 months. He was originally diagnosed with bladder cancer. He fought the cancer with chemotherapy and a special tea to and the combination killed the cancer in his bladder. The bladder had sustained significant damage and in December of 2006 he had bladder replacement surgery. Unfortunately, the cancer had spread, and in March 2007, a large aggressive tumor was found in his stomach. He fought with all of his might and lived as long as he could, but the cancer was just too strong for him. On the morning of April 6, 2007 he finally succumbed to the cancer.

My father, Oscar David, was the best father a son could have asked for. He was a great man, a great thinker, a great chess player, a great mentor, a great friend, a great teacher, and most of all a great father. He was born in Colombia on July 13, 1935. My father moved to Canada and married my mother, Gloria Castro. On December 21, 1972, my mother gave birth to my brother, Pierre Alexander David, and on February 18, 1974, my mother gave birth to me, George Anthony David.

Querido Papi,

Siempre pensaré en tí y siempre te tendrá en my corazón. Nunca te olvidaré. Me criaste bien and no se como te lo voy a repagar.

Te quiero mucho Papi.

Tu hijo,
George Anthony David

Dear Dad,

You will always be in my thoughts and in my heart. I will never forget you. You taught me well and I do not know how I will ever repay you.


I love you Dad,

George Anthony David


A Joyful Beginning:

My wife, Elisabeth Hurley, went into pre-labor on the night of April 4th and started labor around midnight of April 5th. After about 48 hours of total labor, on April 6, 2007 at 10:29pm, our baby boy, Regin Oscar Hurley David, was born. (Regin is pronounced Ray-in). He was born 7 lbs 7oz and 19.5 inches. He was born with a full head of black hair and looks to have my (as well as my dad's) receding hairline already!

Upon being born, he was immediately placed into the arms of Elisabeth and he cried immediately for about a minute or so, then he relaxed and just observed this new world. There's no question he was born with a healthy set of lungs. Right now all he does is sleep, but I am told that is all about to change very soon.

I was both scared and nervous as Elisabeth was in labor, and now I am scared and nervous again as I begin a new life as a father.

I love you Regin.

Back to the full blog...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. There is poetry in life and death, the human experience - the beginning and the beginning ...

Please enjoy these "sleepy" moments, 'cause probably everything everyone else is telling you about it not lasting too long ... well I don't have kids, so listen to them! :)

K:M

christina said...

George,
I've been thinking about you since last Wednesday, we were gonna go visit you guys and introduce you's to Noah, but then Gabe told me the news about your Dad, he also mentioned Elisabeth had been having contractions, my heart went out to you. I kept thinking about you so I asked Gabe to call, but he didn't want to, he was afaid, I couldn't blame him (for once). Finally Monday I asked again for him to call and he looked at Elisabeth's website i think, and told me you guys had your baby and it was a boy but nothing else. So I asked Teddi today and she told me. I'm so sorry for your loss, we are all thinking of you.
On another note: Congratulations on your new bundle of JOY. I can't wait to meet him and introduce him to Noah, before you know it, they'll be playing chess together just like there Daddy's did.
Christina Castro

Carlito said...

George,
Mis mas sentido pesame para ti y tu familia. Que en paz descanse tu papa.
Congrats on your beautiful boy.